Version 5.5 of VMware vSphere ESXi requires slight modifications in order to work properly. Please see the following steps.
If the following error appears when an OVF template is deployed on an older version of VMware ESXi: The OVF package requires unsupported hardware "Unsupported hardware family vmx-##", follow below steps:
You created the Virtual appliance using VMX-11 and didn't set the VM version to 10 or below before creating the OVF.
- Select the ova file and extract its contents to a folder of the same name, without the file extension.
- The folder should contain the following extracted contents: .vmdk files, .ovf file, and .mf file
- Right-click the .ovf file and edit it in a text editor such as Notepad
- Find the line <vssd:VirtualSystemType>vmx-##</vssd:VirtualSystemType>and change the vmx-## value – e.g. change vmx-13 to vmx-09, or to a different hw-version working with the ESXi.
- Save changes to the .ovf file and close the file.
- Now, calculate the SHA-1 hash of the .ovf file and replace the hash value in the .mf file
You can use ovftool to do this: https://code.vmware.com/web/tool/4.4.0/ovf
Verify all the steps.
Now, import the .ovf template in your VMware, it will work.