Accessed using the SMB protocol (with user credentials) to check installed software on the system as well as the patch levels.
Accessed using SSH with user credentials or SSH key
Requirements on the scanned target systems
- To access the Windows registry properly, the target system needs to have the Remote Registry service enabled and running.
- For standalone target systems, that are not included in a local domain, it is important to set this registry key:
DWORD: LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy = 1
- Have the File and Printer Sharing service enabled
- On systems connected to a local domain there might be limited vulnerabilities found if the user is a member of the Local Administrator group.
Instead we recommend to have the user in the Domain Administrators group for the best scanning results.
As an alternative you an also use a custom domain user account, read the how-to
- A regular user account is enough (no su/root user permissions required)